The Technical Advisor will provide overall technical leadership and expertise on the design and implementation of a large-scale USAID-funded program focused on prevention, care and treatment of tuberculosis (TB) in South Africa. As part of the project’s senior leadership team, he/she will be responsible for ensuring that the technical direction of the project is evidence-driven, integrates the latest technical and scientific developments, and advances the achievement of the project’s goals and objectives. The Technical Advisor will develop implementation strategies and tools in line with national and global standards and good practices, building the capacity of team members and partners to implement them, and promote continuous learning and quality improvement in TB service delivery. Reporting to the Chief of Party (COP), he/she will foster close coordination and technical alignment among program teams, partners, and monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) efforts to maximize impact and program efficiency.
- Contribute to maintaining relationships with donors, NGOs, FBOs, private sector actors, media, and research institutions and participate in forums in related to TB and other infectious diseases to collect and share best practices and promote the project’s work.
- Support the development and contribute to the implementation of key strategies, standards, tools and best practices for TB prevention, care and treatment services that effectively engage communities, partners, and government and other stakeholders.
- Represent the project at national and regional technical work groups.
- Work with the COP in identifying capacity strengthening needs of staff and partners and provide quality assurance, technical training, coaching and mentoring.
- Support collection and analysis of project data, capture and share lessons learned and best practices, and contribute to the project learning agenda and adaptive management.
- Provide technical leadership for national, provincial and district level efforts to expand access to TB services, increase TB coverage and patient-centered service delivery, improve prevention of TB transmission and development of TB disease, and ensure the sustainability of South Africa’s TB response systems. This includes supervising other technical staff and local partners working on those program components.
- Deliver recommendations on technical assistance and systems strengthening to enhance program effectiveness and sustainability.
- Support the development of evidence-driven project strategies and workplans as well as monitoring of the project in collaboration with government and donor stakeholders and other implementing partners.
- Ensure that project is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of the target population, and ensure a comprehensive and contextualized approach integrating gender, inclusion and protection mainstreaming.
- Collaborative nature of working across different teams
- Previous experience working in South Africa, with an understanding of the local health system and solid relationships at relevant government agencies. South African nationals strongly preferred.
- Medical degree in a clinical discipline or PhD in public health or related field, with significant project management experience preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as well as strong public presentation skills, including the ability to represent the project to key stakeholders.
- Experience in a role requiring collaboration with complex internal and external organizations, as well as a demonstrated ability to coordinate with the Ministry of Health, USG Implementing Partners, and other relevant partners across all levels of health care system
- Ability to speak and present proposals with conviction
- Experience in capacity building and providing technical assistance.
- Confident and comfortable to challenge senior stakeholder thinking
- Advanced degree in medicine, public health, nursing, or other relevant field, preferably with a specialization in epidemiology or infectious disease
- Good negotiation skills with the ability to navigate and relate at all levels
- Experience managing and supervising technical staff.
- Resourceful, creative and innovative approach to work
- Experience supporting complex USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Good influencing and interpersonal skills with people at all levels
- Ability to operate in a high-pressure environment with conflicting priorities and tight timelines
- Be solution focused
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in the design and implementation of TB programs and in technical leadership positions.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and plan work
- Ability to travel locally and internationally.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, SA
Application Deadline: N/A