The Conservation Manager (Off Reserve) will provide conservation services and stewardship extension support in the Karoo Landscape Unit and participate in local co-ordination and governance structures to assist in identifying ecological corridors in Landscape East.
- Reviewing management plans and audits & identifying projects that need funding.
- Manage information systems and relevant databases.
- Attend and participate in the stewardship site review process.
- To provide information to key landowners and managers in respect of relevant conservation stewardship options and facilitate and provide support for the negotiations and development of subsequent stewardship agreements in order to secure priority Succulent Karoo habitats.
- Coordinating and participating in landowner and partner knowledge exchanges at the landscape level
- Support partners with Stewardship negotiations: EWT
- Consolidate negotiations for stewardship agreements
- Participate in existing landscape initiatives such as GCBR or identify other possible conservation initiatives to mainstream Protected Area
- Expansion in the Landscape.
- Attend and participate in relevant Conservation Management and Stewardship meetings, Forums, Symposiums & Peer Learning Workshops.
- Support partners in the development and implementation of Management Plans, METT/ annual reviews and technical assistance projects (incl. post declaration maintenance).
- Attend meetings with partners & stakeholders
- Carry out METT assessments for all stewardship nature reserves.
- To complete the administrative and legal process to formalize stewardship agreements
- Project progress reporting to the Funder
- Ensure compliance with relevant policies and legislation.
- Capacity building and technical advice through extension support
- Financial and asset management at operational level.
- A formal three-year qualification in the field of Natural Resource Management or Biodiversity Conservation.
- A valid EB (08) driver’s license and a willingness to travel extensively in the region
- Willingness to travel regularly and ability to drive on 4×4 terrain.
- Understanding of Environmental Legislation.
- Advanced computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, Power Point and GIS).
- Bilingualism in at least two of the official languages of the Western Cape.
- At least five years’ management experience in the Conservation Sector.
- High levels of personal responsibility and accountability.
- Own private transport (to be reimbursed for official mileage)
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Sound interpersonal, communication and people management skills.
- High Competency in Computer literacy and Report writing skills.
- Exceptional ability to work effectively within teams (as a leader and as team member).
- Experience in the implementation of Stewardship methodology.
- Strong leadership ability to lead and conflict resolution skills.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Oudtshoorn, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A