Website Human Sciences Research Council - HSRC
The Africa Institute of South Africa (AISA) within the Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) seeks to appoint a suitably qualified and highly motivated postgraduate student as a Doctoral (PhD) Intern in its Pretoria Offices. The period for the internship is 36 months during which the successful candidate is expected to advance his/her doctoral studies in either sustainable development, peace and security, science innovation or gender studies in Africa. The intern is expected to develop research work that allows for collaboration with researchers within the AISA and across other Divisions of the HSRC.
- Make demonstrable progress towards the achievement of a Doctoral degree;
- Commit to and participate in clear research trainee mentoring and capacity development activities.
- Write up research results for conference presentations, research reports and manuscripts for publication;
- Assist in meeting the AISA targets;
- Work with a research team on all aspects of conducting research, surveys and the analysis of resultant data;
- Develop own personal academic competencies through formal and informal training activities;
- Experience in the preparation of research reports and manuscripts for publication, whilst having peer reviewed articles in recognized journals will be advantageous;
- Curiosity, enthusiasm and interest in a research career that includes working in trans-, inter and multi-disciplinary research projects and teams.
- Proficiency in or working experience with some or all of the following programmes: Atlas T, NVIVO, MS Access, Excel, Word, SPSS, STATA will be an advantage; and
- Curiosity, enthusiasm and interest in a research career that includes working with statistics and data analysis;
- Be in possession a Master’s Degree in Social Sciences or Humanities.
- Ability to work to strict deadlines paying the necessary attention to detail.
- Evidence of sound analytical, research, writing and publication abilities will be an advantage.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, good communication and leadership skills are required;
- A sound academic record inclusive of data management and qualitative and quantitative analysis skills will be very advantageous;
- An interest in research on Africa that seeks to extend and enhance the use and impact of scientific research.
- Be registering or have registered as a PhD candidate at a recognized university.
Company: Human Sciences Research Council – HSRC
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, SA
Application Deadline: N/A