Website Independent Schools Association of Southern Africa - ISASA
The Senior Teacher role is primarily responsible for ensuring that the teachers in their subject area deliver high-quality educational experiences. While this role is not a people-management role, the Senior Teacher is responsible for providing guidance to a team of Teachers and is responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality tuition and the student experience.
- Develop a variety of teaching and instructional resources for individuals and groups of students.
- Conduct lesson planning within your subject team to develop appropriate teaching solutions and strategies that target the specific student needs that arise as they progress through the course.
- Monitor their academic performance of the subject, using data and metrics aligned with key performance indicators (KPIs). These KPIs primarily reference a student’s demonstrated learning gain as a result of the department’s guidance and support.
- Monitor at-risk students and the effectiveness of planned interventions (according to our remediation policy which uses Response to
- Intervention (RTI)) and employ bespoke remediation strategies to enable student academic progress.
- Work with our Support Coaches, Student Experience Leads and Student Well-Being to oversee the progress of all students on Individual
- Support Plans within the allocated student group.
- Review holistic performance of students on a regular basis.
- Facilitate and participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities, clubs and student organisations.
- Coordinate and facilitate Ad Hoc Live Sessions.
- Update student records with socio-emotional, behavioural and academic insights gained through teacher-student interactions.
- Engage in lesson observations with fellow teachers and your Faculty Lead to maintain quality assurance of instruction in line with Valenture’s
- Teaching and Learning approach and to enable personal and peer improvement through feedback, coaching and mentorship.
- Using subject specifications to ensure that the quality of grading meets the required examination standards.
- Using subject specifications to ensure that content meets the required examination standards, peer-review cycle tests and exam papers and determine the efficacy and suitability of content.
- Mentoring, coaching, developing, and motivating the teachers in your team to enable them to facilitate transformative learning experiences.
- Moderate the grading of all summative submissions.
- Weekly professional development sessions to develop a deep knowledge of the most recent advances of research in the subject you teach, as well as the research on how something can be taught and learned.
- Must be comfortable working remotely and independently.
- Experience grading or examining of international assessments would be advantageous.
- Minimum of 5 years teaching experience at secondary school level, with either BEd or PGCE qualification.
- Experience teaching a UK curriculum (Cambridge, Pearson EdExcel or OxfordAQA certifications) will be an advantage.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent administrative and reporting skills.
- Strong organisational skills and flexibility.
- Adept in a technological environment.
- Operationally savvy.
- Sexual Offenders Affidavit required.
- The ability to elicit the best from teachers and students through excellent rapport, meaningful engagement and sincere commitment to their success.
- Valid South African Police clearance required.
- SACE registration or eligible to apply for SACE.
- Experience teaching international students would be advantageous. An international mindset is highly recommended due to the global audience of students that will form part of the school community. The ability to engage with students from various backgrounds and cultures is key to a successful teaching experience.
- Demonstrated experience in working effectively working with young people to promote their individual academic potential.
- A good feel for working with assessment data and operational data.
- Professional proficiency in English.
- Ability to engage with students from diverse environments, cultures and communities.Knowledge and passion for the subject area.
- Inclusive and dedicated to developing all students.
- Must be able to take initiative as well as self-audit.
- Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team.
Company: Independent Schools Association of Southern Africa – ISASA
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A