Website National Research Foundation - NRF
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of National Research Facilities and science outreach platforms and programmes to the broader community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering, social sciences and humanities.
The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO) spearheads South Africa·s activities in the Square Kilometre Array Radio Telescope, commonly known as the SKA, in engineering, science and construction. SARAO is a National Facility managed by the National Research Foundation and incorporates radio astronomy instruments and programmes such as the MeerKAT telescope in the Karoo, the Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy Observatory (HartRAO) in Gauteng, the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry (AVN) programme in nine African countries as well as the associated human capital development and commercialisation endeavours.
Support commercialisation of SARAO technologies through creating an active link between the development teams and the commercialisation unit.
- Evaluating technology readiness and proposing commercialisation options
- Creating and maintaining comprehensive project documents including requirements and product scope
- Closing out projects
- Ensuring all projects are delivered on time and within scope
- Assisting in the definition of project scope and objectives involving all relevant stakeholders and ensuring technical visibility
- Developing and conducting research into new product directions to meet customer needs
- Preparing project budgets
- Leading/facilitating the development of project scopes/plans
- Analysing projects risks and opportunities
- Identifying intellectual property which can be commercialised through regular interaction with MeerKAT development teams
- Conducting, evaluating the market including market sizing and mapping
- Conducting preliminary evaluations through patent searches
- Refining existing and new products/systems and support development towards production readiness
- Three (3) years of experience in technology or product development commercialization
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge to the development of new products or improvement of existing ones
- Excellent information retrieval, critical evaluation and analytical skills.
- Degree in Electronics and/or Electrical
- Bidding for and securing funding
- Effective research and report writing skills
- Experience in leading/facilitating the development of project scopes/plans
- Excellent interpersonal skills and stakeholder relationships
- The ability to work on her/his own initiative to develop funded industrial collaborations.
- Developing and testing products based on specifications
- Product development and product lifecycle
- An understanding of the barriers to commercialisation and the means to overcome them.
Company: National Research Foundation – NRF
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A