Website National Research Foundation - NRF
The SKA-Mid Senior Network Engineer, will lead the network team of the SKA-Mid telescope. The position works alongside the SKAO·s Network Architect, Computing Infrastructure Lead, other domain specialists, project managers and system engineers, to ensure the networks for the SKA-Mid telescope are fit for purpose, providing the quality needed for a system that will have to last, and be continually developed, for decades. The role will initially report to the Head of Computing & Software for SKAO South Africa. The system will be based on designs submitted by worldwide-based design consortia, but it is anticipated that there will be continual evolution as the systems are delivered and the commercial-off-the-shelf market evolves during telescope construction. Due to the locations involved in the SKA project, in particular Australia and the United Kingdom, this role will require an ability and willingness to work outside normal hours. It will also require occasional domestic travel to the Karoo Site near Carnarvon and may require occasional international travel.
- Adhere to the spirit and practice of both SKAO and SARAO·s Values as well as the Code of Conduct, Health, Safety and Environment procedures and policy, Diversity initiatives and Zero Harm goals.
- Work with the stakeholders to continually refine network requirements for the SKA telescopes to ensure they meet the system requirements in an appropriate and cost-effective manner.
- Communicate openly, effectively, and respectfully with all staff, clients, and suppliers in the interests of good business practice, collaboration, and enhancement of SKAO and SARAO·s reputation.
- Support the ongoing network design activities required for procurement.
- Assist with security audits and risk assessments undertaken by specialists inside and outside of the organisation.
- Develop the technical content of the network procurement packages once the designs have been agreed.
- Assist in the deployment and support of the telescope networks.
- Provide updates and reports as necessary on the status of the SKA network installation in South Africa.
- Be an integral member of an international networking team.
- Travel, as required, to national and international meetings to represent the SKAO and the Computing and Software of SKA-Mid in South Africa in particular.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as directed.
- Proven experience in the installation, optimisation and maintenance of network and security devices and services, and the ability to assure compliance with SKAO security policies and applicable legislation and regulations.
- 10 years·experience in the architecture and design of large network systems with a demonstrable understanding of new and emerging networking and security technologies.
- Experience in a leadership position, or evidence of potential to fulfil a leadership position, promoting diversity and developing an inclusive, high-performing culture.
- Demonstrated experience of data centre networking technologies.
- A demonstrable understanding of Lean Principles, including the importance of customer focus and the minimisation of waste in business processes.
- Bachelor·s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Technology or Electrical Engineering or equivalent qualifications.
Company: National Research Foundation – NRF
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A