Website Old Mutual
The My Old Mutual team is a dynamic division within Old Mutual Limited, which seeks to drive digital engagement with customers by being at the forefront of digital development and innovation. Old Mutual’s longstanding history and unquestionable success in the financial industry, provide a solid foundation for expansion of its digital platform. The Digital & Data team applies customer-focused design thinking, agile and lean development methodologies, and continuous delivery practices.
The role of Software Engineer – Senior IOS Developer is responsible for the development of high-quality mobile solutions. This role requires participation in the development and maintenance activities of software and other digital applications or services. The incumbent will be expected to develop user-centered software and contribute to developing technical specifications. This role requires fundamentals in engineering practices, an analytical and data-driven approach to problem solving, while following DevOps, SRE and Cloud Based practices.
- Assumes responsibility for the state of the code you both inherit and produce.
- Drive monitoring and alerting for solutions
- Contributes to and develop technical specifications and software application architecture and designs
- Work closely with multi-skilled and cross-functional teams e.g., architects, developers, UX designers, business
- Responsible for getting designs and code reviewed,
- Participates in team design, scoping and prioritization discussions
- Refactor complex code to improve maintainability
- Understand, communicate and/or translate complex procedures
- In the event of a problem, troubleshoots, researches the root cause of problems, and thoroughly resolve defects.
- Contribute to the technical roadmap and vision of the Digital & Data team
- Review and refactor code according to coding standards
- Build cloud based functional mobile applications at an enterprise level
- Build Front-end and/or back-end solutions on the mobile digital channel/platform
- Continuously develop skills
- Document & Design solutions at an Application Level with guidance from seniors
- Work in a DevOps culture
- Writes secure, stable, testable, maintainable code with minimal defects.
- Understands the maintenance characteristics, runtime properties, and dependencies of the team’s software, including hardware platform, operating system and build dependencies.
- Seek to learn the business context and technologies behind teams software.
- Implement complex Business Features and solutions autonomously
- Provide after-hours support of applications (you build it, you run it)
- Matric certificate with relevant tertiary qualification
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
- CI/CD Tools e.g., Jenkins, AWS Code Commit
- 4+ years of experience in Android mobile application development
- AWS (preferred) or another cloud provider such as Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform
- Familiarity with architecture styles such as Microservice and Serverless architectures
- Containerisation technologies e.g., Kubernetes, Docker
- Kotlin (advantageous)
- Good communications skills and a team player
- Critical thinking, root cause identification skills and attention to detail
- IaC technologies e.g., Terraform/Cloudformation
Company: Old Mutual
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, SA
Application Deadline: N/A