Website Petra Diamonds
Reporting to the Geotechnical Engineer, the role will ensure effective Geotechnical operations as per organisational requirements and assist the Geotechnical Engineering section in providing a geotechnical service to mine management in both underground and surface environments.
- Co-ordinate and implement designated Geotechnical programs taking cognisance of Geotechnical standards/objectives/targets and ensure compliance with statutory requirements.
- Provide Geotechnical Engineering expertise and skills within area of responsibility.
- Collect and interpret Geotechnical data in accordance with standards.
- Engage internal and external stakeholders on Geotechnical Engineering related matters as required.
- Participate in draw control meetings to ensure adherence to draw compliance.
- Inclusion of penalties on substandard support prior to the circulation of support certificates for signature.
- Monitor performance of new support elements undergoing trials and prepare reports.
- Sampling of underground support units for testing at external laboratories.
- Production level tunnel condition/stability/support and rock mass damage monitoring and mapping. Monitoring of brow wear in draw and loading points.
- Provide test results and quality assurance of rock support in underground excavations.
- Monitor and report on adherence to support standards.
- Undertake geotechnical core logging to acceptable Industry and Mine Standards.
- Undertake geotechnical mapping in alignment with set mine standards for underground mapping and rock mass characterization
- Maintain Geotechnical records, databases and statistics in the designated area, advising line managers of any deviations and anomalies.
- Maintenance including the calibration of geotechnical equipment.
- Coordinate required assistance from other mining department as per site preparation note for the installation of specific monitoring system
- Provide input into the departmental budget. Responsible for the generation of cost saving ideas.
- Model behaviour that is consistent with the Company Safety, Health and Environment Vision and Values. Manage and report on non-compliance issues.
- Takes cognisance of and adhere to Company policies, procedures and relevant legislation. Manage and report on noncompliance issues.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships and an effective / sound communication system within the operation.”
- Train and mentor junior staff.
- Supervise subordinates in the designated area.
- Write technical reports to the required quality.
- Draft support recommendations
- Analyse monitoring data trends and provide feedback.
- Knowledge of available numerical modelling packages and their functions.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Degree in Geology, Engineering Geology or Mining Engineering.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in and knowledge of the Geotechnical / Underground Mining field.
- Computer Literacy and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Software skills in CAD and database management (Intermediate)
- COM Strata Control Certificate.
Company: Petra Diamonds
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Lime Acres, Northern Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A