Website University of Cape Town
The Drug Discovery and Development Centre (H3D http://www.h3d.uct.ac.za/ ) is an interdisciplinary, soft-funded research unit at the University of Cape Town. H3D staff and laboratories are situated across three sites on the UCT campus. H3D is seeking to appoint an Investigator on a 5-year contract for the the newly launched J&J Satellite Center for Global Health Discovery at H3D. The focus area for the centre is Antimicrobial Resistance, aiming to develop first in class MDR Gram-Negative therapeutics (read more here https://www.jnj.com/global-public-health/discovery-centers).
This position will be predominantly laboratory-based with the main purpose in taking a leading role in the synthesis of novel compounds to optimize drug-like properties on anti-bacterial drug discovery projects.
- Participate and present work in project meetings and write research reports
- Use structure-activity relationships and other medicinal chemistry practices to aid optimization of “hit to lead” and lead to preclinical candidate
- Comply with standard operating procedures for laboratory safety, use of instruments and data management.
- Independently synthesize compounds within a team setting with the goal to identify pre-clinical drug candidates.
- Masters in appropriate discipline with 5 or more years industrial or academic experience in drug discovery or synthetic organic chemistry
- A track record of publications in medicinal chemistry and/or organic chemistry journals with major contributions to compound synthesis
- Up to date on laboratory technologies and strong bench experience in synthetic organic chemistry and characterisation of organic compounds
- Proficiency in the use of all equipment in a modern chemistry laboratory including parallel synthesis, automated purifications techniques
- PhD in an appropriate discipline with 2 or more years industrial or academic experience in drug discovery or synthetic organic chemistry OR;
- Comfortable working in a matrix-based organizational structure
- Experience in a drug discovery team either in a university setting or at a pharmaceutical/biotech company
- Demonstrated ability to use structure-activity relationships and other medicinal chemistry practices to aid optimization of “hit to lead” and lead to preclinical candidate
Company: University of Cape Town
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Cape Town, Western Cape, SA
Application Deadline: N/A