Website University of Johannesburg
The Director of SPMGP must ensure that the School contributes substantially to tangible business improvements in Africa, notably through the practice and development of marketing analytics to inform, evaluate and optimise campaigns, by enriching strategy with contextual knowledge and to employ technology in achieving organisational goals.
The Director should be able to position the School to be regarded as a valuable partner by the private and public sector for consultation and collaboration. The role will provide managerial and strategic leadership to ensure the achievement and maintenance of the highest possible standards of excellence in all activities of the School by:
- Promoting world-class management education and pedagogy, including online programme development and the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Actively promoting transformation in the School, in terms of the staff profile, academic programmes and research.
- Providing strategic leadership to ensure productive, innovative and influential research and promoting transformation in terms of its academic profile, academic programmes and research.
- Determining, articulating, implementing and leading strategic initiatives to enhance the School’s reputation and performance in teaching and scholarship in accordance with the strategy of the College of Business and Economics and the University’s strategic plans and objectives aimed at enhancing global excellence and stature.
- Providing academic citizenship and leadership in establishing and maintaining strong networks with the private and public sector and related institutions in South Africa and beyond.
- Promoting the visibility of the School through networks, partnerships and collaborations with the private and public sector and with civil society, in projects of local, African and global interest and active participation in debates on critical issues and policy.
- Providing strategic leadership to ensure excellence in teaching and learning at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Ensuring the highest level of School governance, administration and systems functioning, including enrolment planning, management of students’ academic lifecycle and risk management.
- Leveraging external resources and grow third stream income, and ensure financial sustainability of the SPMGP.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- A PhD in Public Management and Governance or a related discipline.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, and coordinate multiple inputs with tight deadlines, and a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and manage a diverse group of professional staff, students and programmes.
- Track record of research/innovation relevant to the context of the School.
- Proven experience in university related academic governance.
- Knowledge of Human Resource Management.
- Excellent attention to detail whilst understanding the bigger picture and being able to communicate the same to senior staff and external stakeholders.
- Ability to conduct and apply research and provide research leadership.
- An excellent public profile and media savvy complemented by academic/professional rigour.
- Ability to work with academic faculty and to facilitate high levels of performance.
- Good leadership and managerial skills.
- A good standing in the academic/public/private sectors and senior management/public sector experience.
- An excellent academic/professional record of accomplishment.
- An excellent research reputation evidenced by a sustained record of research output.
- Excellent leadership, managerial and interpersonal skills and should have attained substantial academic standing to command the respect of the members of the School.
- Interdisciplinary scholarship at a senior level in the field of public management, governance and public policy as well as knowledge of the higher education sector.
- A track record of successful teaching, post graduate supervision of completed master and PhD students.
- Ability to build relationships and networks.
- Results driven, forward thinking, dynamic and innovative.
- Ability to relate to the student experience of studying towards a leadership qualification.
- High level governance, management, administration and systems abilities, including financial acumen and public accountability.
- Ability to oversee high-level execution of mission and vision.
- Excellent delegation skills.
Company: University of Johannesburg
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, SA
Application Deadline: N/A