Website University of Johannesburg
The University seeks to appoint an exceptionally motivated and energetic leader of high professional standing as Executive Director: Facilities Management. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Executive Director is a member of the University’s Executive Leadership Group and has strategic, operational, and administrative oversight of the Facilities Management Division. The primary responsibility of the Executive Director is to lead the Facilities Management Division and its sub-units viz: All four campuses, Project Management Office; Civil, Building and Infrastructure Management; Protection Services, Operations, Occupational Health and Safety and Event Risk Management.
- Oversee staff development and management, including retention and recruitment.
- Plan and execute capital projects, including but not exclusive to infrastructure, maintenance and preventative maintenance, municipal services, and emergency power, grounds and sports, student centres, micro-computer laboratories, and the fixed-property portfolio.
- Provide strategic guidance and Executive Management for the full operational function of the University at a central level, as well as the operational functions of the four campuses under the control of Senior Director: Campuses.
- Manage risks within the Portfolio.
- Respond to the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) funding, teaching, and learning as well as research and innovation-related policy documents, draft proposals and reports and initiate policy.
- Promote the Division in broader national and international contexts.
- Ensure the effective and efficient management and utilisation of the Division’s finances and resources.
- Ensure high-quality divisional governance, administration and systems functioning.
- Determine, articulate, implement and lead divisional-based strategic initiatives to enhance the Division’s reputation and performance in accordance with the institution’s Strategic Plan 2025 in order to enhance and support global excellence and stature.
- Ensure safety and security of staff, students, visitors and security of UJ property in all campuses.
- Ensure compliance with relevant statutory legislation and requirements (i.e., Health & Safety, SASRI Act, B-BBEE, etc).
- Strengthen relationships with stakeholders and partners, nationally and internationally.
- Sound knowledge, insight, and a strategic vision with regards to Facilities Management in the Higher Education sector.
- Extensive technical knowledge of and experience in the operational environment of large multi-dimensional organisations.
- Substantial Executive Management and leadership experience in facilities management, operations, construction, or mining.
- A dynamic and responsive leader, with a well-established and acknowledged success record, high-level administrative skills, along with the ability to develop and maintain good networks.
- A well-respected executive leader who can inspire and motivate the academic community, students, alumni and external stakeholders in the University to provide innovative best Operations-related practices.
- Substantive Facilities Management experience, with an appropriate Masters’ Degree (NQF 9) or equivalent.
- Proven resource, project and contractor management, sound experience in strategic management and people management skills, with exceptional ability and resilience to function under pressure.
Company: University of Johannesburg
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, SA
Application Deadline: N/A