Website Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
The CSIR has a vacancy for a Doctoral Studentship: Voice Computing in the Voice Computing Research Group within the Next Generation Enterprises and Institutions Cluster. The incumbent will be responsible for undertaking original research and development in Voice Computing. This position is based in Pretoria.
- Perform original research to solve the open research problem that the student identified in his/her proposal;
- Produce sufficient quantity and quality of peer-reviewed publications based on this research topic;
- Compile the Doctoral thesis and defending the work successfully;
- Contribute to extra activities that may be outside the scope of the doctoral research as per the needs of the research group. The amount of such work shall be limited to 20% of the total time.
- Prepare research proposal to be approved by both the CSIR and the university;
- Prepare written literature overview of the current state-of-the-art relevant to the research topic;
- Must have knowledge of Open-Source development tools and an excellent understanding of the Linux OS;
- Knowledge in speech synthesis, speech recognition, natural language processing or human computer interaction or any related machine learning background would be advantageous
- A Master’s degree in electronic/computer engineering, computer science, or a related/relevant field.
- All international qualifications require an evaluation report / certificate issued by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA);
- Knowledge in Digital signal processing and/or pattern recognition and/or machine learning and/or artificial intelligence;
- Good programming skills in related software, preferably Python/C/MATLAB/Java;
- Experience working a GPU and training deep learning models will be advantageous
- Experience with speech technology and/or machine learning toolkits such as PyTorch, Tensorflow or Kaldi will be advantageous
- A good peer-reviewed publication record will be advantageous.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) and ability to interact efficiently with diverse teams of people;
- Strong analytical skills including good mathematical and statistical ability.
Company: Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, SA
Application Deadline: N/A